Thursday, April 7, 2011

New and unchartered territory for the Nagel's

This is all new to me..blogging and such. I have felt in my heart though as of lately that I need to do it and then a good friend of mine mentioned about starting a blog..so here I go. We are a close knit family of 6. My husband and I have been married for almost 17 years. We have been blessed by God with 4 beautiful children..Josiah 16, Michaela 12, Sarah 10, and Aunnah 7. We love our kids dearly and thank God for them every day!
What I want to blog about is the journey that we have been on since the birth of our daughter Michaela. We tried so hard after the birth of our son to have another child...after a little over a year we found out I was pregnant with our daughter Michaela. We were so excited for this new little life, but we were not expecting what was coming our way. You never think that anything bad is going to happen to you or your child when you are pregnant...that thought never crossed my mind or my husband's. The day came when it was time to deliver her..this beautiful child that God had gifted us with. The delivery was very hard and difficult but then she was here...a beautiful 6 pound 9 ounce baby girl.
Shortly after delivery I was nursing her and her lips and body started to turn blue..I called for a nurse and they ran in and took her from my arms...that was the start to her little body fighting for life. She was born with Trachea Esophageal Fistula. God blessed us with a wonderful surgeon who did surgery on her at 1 day old. My husband and I had to rush to the hospital where they were doing surgery on her and we remember seeing the surgeon for the first time...his large hands working on our little girl was impossible for us to comprehend! Five and a half hours later we were able to see our little precious girl. She had a chest tube, feeding tube and basically machines and tubes all over her. She was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks..it was such a roller coaster ride but finally the day came to when we could take her home. From that day forward is when we started finding so many other health issues that she was going to have to face.
You see Michaela also has a disease called Neurofibromatosis as well as 2 of her siblings. All three of our children who have this disease have had to undergo chemo therapy treatments due to tumors in their brains. Michaela has been the one hit the hardest with this though. She will be starting her 5th journey of chemo on April 11th. Her first journey with chemo was when she was only 18 months old and she has been on and off chemo treatments since then..all treatments have been outpatient until now. April 11th she will be going in for 5 days of chemo and this will take place every 3 weeks and every 2nd week she will be getting another chemo drug that is done in clinic.
I write all of this to let you know how we have found strength in all of this and that is through our Jesus! I am not saying we have never questioned His ways but I am saying that if it was not for Him...we would have given up by now. We don't know why and we don't understand at times and it is very difficult to look our children in the eyes and say that God has a plan just keep trusting, but we do and we do believe it! You see, God sees the whole picture and we are only seeing what is here and now. The God that made the universe has each of us in His hands and He cares about every aspect of our lives! Our family has learned many things through our trials and we will continue to pray that if it is not time yet for the healing of our children...please allow something good to come from it all for His glory and His glory alone

6 comments:

  1. Andrea, We Love You guys and we are praying for you all. I am so glad you started this Blog it will help all those out there who really don't understand the POWER of GOD. Your family has been through so much and yet you always give God the Glory. AMEN!! You guys are a TRUE exsmple of True believers and followers of Christ. Whatever His will is sooo You. God Bless You all!! xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to see you started to write! This will be so good for everyone..including you :) Praying for sweet Michaela and the entire Nagel family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea I just wanted you to know there is not a night that goes bye that I do not pray for you and your family. Also I wanted to let you know how much I look up to how faithful your family is and pray everyday for a strong family faith just like yours.God is so good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah is a friend of mine and referred me to your blog. I can not imagine going through what you & your family are going through. I'm glad you have the Lord to give you strength and comfort. I will add your family to my prayer list. I have been studying & investigating causes and treatments of cancer for the last 3 years out of fear I guess, since so many people I know or know of have it. I'm sure you have been told by some about alternative treatments, but if you have not looked into the Gerson therapy, please do. God Bless You All!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nagel family,
    The words of the praise song keep running through my head..."our God is an awesome God, He reigns from heaven above, with wisdom, power, and love, our God is an awesome God."
    Please know that I will be praying for Michaela and the whole family.
    Ann Lauder
    (I teach at Buchanan and am Leah's aunt)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a friend of Linnea and she sent me over here. I will be adding my prayers to the others!

    ReplyDelete